GHANASCO ISSUE: Any Serious Education Minister Would Have Stepped Down For Being Irresponsible – Matey Wisdom, EAI
Educate Africa Institute (EAI) has chanced on a video that has been in circulation for the past few days concerning Ghana Senior High School-Tamale using washrooms as a habitable abode for students as a result of inadequate infrastructural facilities.
As an educational think-tank with a mission of promoting inclusive and accessible education to Africans in a hygienic and conducive environment would like to bring to the notice of Ghanaians that, this behavior by the school management should be condemned with the highest degree it deserves.
We, therefore, call on all well-meaning Ghanaians as well as the stakeholders of education to condemn this act to prioritize education in the country.
EAI would like to itemize some of the adverse effects of using the washroom as a dormitory on the health and the level of studies on the learners.
- Hygiene: Bathrooms are not designed to be living spaces and can harbor germs, bacteria, and other harmful microorganisms that can harm the health of the students living there. This can lead to diseases and infections, which can spread quickly among the students.
- Lack of privacy: Students living in a bathroom will have no privacy at all, which can lead to mental and emotional stress. This can cause them to feel ashamed, embarrassed, and uncomfortable in their own living space psychologically.
- Poor ventilation: Bathrooms are not built with proper ventilation for living spaces. This can lead to air contamination, which can cause respiratory problems and other health issues since the air in circulation becomes deoxygenated with the right amount of oxygen compound reduced.
- Uncomfortable sleeping arrangements: Bathrooms are not meant to be sleeping spaces, and students living in such an environment will have to manage with whatever space is available. This can lead to a lack of proper body support and uncomfortable sleeping positions which result in back pain and other physical problems.
- It is unethical: Using a bathroom as an accommodation is a gross violation of the basic human right to shelter and should never be condoned in any reputable institution like GHANASCO.
In conclusion, the current minister for education Dr. Yaw Osei Adutwum ought to resign because using washrooms as an accommodation for students poses several health risks while disregarding the personal dignity of students. The core mandate of the sector minister is to ensure a quality and comfortable education system.
Besides, schools and other institutions need to provide proper and decent accommodation for students for their safety, health, and overall well-being.
Let’s be very serious for once. Ghana first.
CEO of EAI, Educationist, Journalist, Political analyst, and Socialist.
Educate Africa Institute (EAI)
Call for more information +233247607473.
EAI, WE EDUCATE AFRICA.